Monday, September 5, 2016

Textured Water

The Lawnscaping Challenge has a fun new challenge up and I couldn't help but play along. This challenge is about adding texture to your work.


It's hard to see in this photo, but I used a translucent embossing paste to add texture through a waves stencil. I'll have another picture farther down that shows the effect better.

I started my card by watercoloring my background using several shades of blue. I splattered water on top and dabbed it away to bleach away the color in certain places. After the piece was dry, I layered on my embossing paste through my waves stencil and then set it aside to dry. I cut a piece of brown cardstock down using the Stitched Hillside Borders die and then stamped all my images and used my Brother Scan N Cut 2 to cut them out. I colored my mermaids and my rock using Copics. I added some clear Wink of Stella to their tails because I can't help but believe that mermaids have shimmery tails!

After all my pieces were colored, cut, and ready, I set about assembling my scene. I adhered my background to a card base using some Be Creative tape and then added the ground piece using the same. I placed my images where I wanted them and then started adhering them. I adhered my seaweed, coral, and the rock directly to the piece using some Multi Medium Matte and then popped up the banner and the mermaids using foam tape. I finished the whole thing off with a few Sparkling Clear Sequins from Pretty Pink Posh to look like air bubbles!


This close up picture shows that beautiful texture paste much better. It's translucent, so you can see the color showing through from underneath. I think it makes the water look almost real!

I'm also going to be adding this card to the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge (use a stamp) and Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge (anything goes).


   



6 comments:

  1. Love this punny sentiment, Rachel - your card made me smile! Thanks for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The water is such a cool technique! I love how you did that!! Nailed the texture for the challenge. So cute. Thank you for playing along with Lawnscaping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute card Rachel ! I love the effect you gave to the sea ! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool, subtle background texture! This card turned out so pretty! Thanks so much for playing with us at Lawnscaping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card is so cute! Love the adorable image. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so cute and adorable!! LOOOOOVE those waves!! great idea to use the translucent embossing paste!! what an awesome texture!! Thank you SO much for playing along with the Lawnscaping Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete