Thursday, April 7, 2016

Watercolor Birthday

I don't typically watercolor a whole lot. I'm not comfortable with it as a medium and I tend to be too much of a perfectionist to really throw myself into it. I've taken a few classes to try to get a better understanding of techniques and colors, but I still find myself reaching for my copics more than any other medium. Today, I decided to just let go and play with some watercolors!


I started by heat embossing my sentiment and all of my images on watercolor paper with some white embossing powder. I love this technique. It helps the perfectionist in me stay inside the lines! I used distress inks on a makeshift pallet (laminated paper) and a water brush to do my actual watercoloring. I love how vibrant the colors are even after they dry. I used 2 colors for the roses and leaves in order to get some dimension, but I also used 3 different blues for the background. I wanted it to be darker around the sentiment so it wouldn't get lost in the haze of blue! I adhered my watercolor panel to a Fog cardstock base using some Be Creative tape. It really helps keep that sucker down even if it was a little warped! I finished it all off by adding a sprinkling of my favorite sparkling clear Pretty Pink Posh sequins.

I'm entering this card into four separate challenges! Holy Moly!

Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - Resist (I used watercolor resist for this one.)
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge - Birthday
Simon Says Stamp Flickr Challenge - Spring
Inspired By All the Little Things: See the inspiration photo




13 comments:

  1. Glad you felt the need to let go and try your hand again at watercoloring! You did an incredible job so you should be pleased! Such a pretty result!! So glad you joined us this week at Inspired by All the Little Things where I am guesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, your card is beautiful. Love the colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful in every way! Your watercolor is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you did a wonderful job. Water colouring is one of my favourite things to do. You aced it and you created a very pretty card. So happy you joined us at Inspired by All the Little Things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning, love the simplicity and beautiful colours achieved here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your card is a beautiful take on the inspiration photo. I love that you just 'went for it' when watercolouring, and it looks SO GREAT! Thanks for playing with us at Inspired by All the Little Things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is beautiful! I love your watercolouring! Wonderful take on the inspiration photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning card Rachel, the flowers are beautiful, gorgeous watercoloring, and I love the colours and simple design too :-)

    thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Monday and Wednesday Challenges
    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! This is beautiful Rachel. I just love the soft watercoloring! Thanks for playing with us at Inspired by All the Little Things :)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you did a wonderful job with your watercolor, Rachel, this is really lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so pretty & easy on the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so pretty and I love the colours you've chosen and the soft, delicate feel you've captured with the watercoloring ~ beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing and for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog... :)

    ReplyDelete